Saturday, August 2, 2008

Interview: Banoffee


Yeah, it's been a while since AoEI's had an interview, but this time I hope it returns with a bang, this week's member is Banoffee, the famed scenario designer and newbie modder on AoMH. Read on to see him in his candid form.

1. welcome Banoffee, so I guess I'll start off your interview by asking your history here at AoMH, how did you first start out?

Well, Age of Mythology was the first proper PC game I ever owned. Before I purchased I was a big fan of Greek Mythology, thats what lead me to doing so. I found AoMH whilst looking for info about the game, here was where I first found out how to get into the editor. After awhile I found the forums. I was very new to online forums back then. I became your regular forum noob, thinking that everyone instantly knew who I was and asking some really nooby things.

2. So when/why did you start designing scenarios and also what was the first one like? Did you think it was good?

Well, I can distinctly remember the first time my brother and I discovered the editor, we went around placing random units everywhere, seeing what everything did etc. But the first thing I made was a very simple Theseus and the Labyrinth map. I wish I still had it, I rember how I loved playing it. The simplicity of it was what made it fun. I then attmpted making an Odysey scenario, needless to say I didn't get very far...

3. So now you have gotten into modding, something I hope to do very soon as well, how has this changed your activity at AoMH and more importantly, why?

Hmm, I can't really remember how I got into modding, but I didn't start out as good as I am now. Owing to the fact that I'm a much better texture artist then scenario designer (although I consider myself quite profficiant at cinematics) I think I have gained much more respect in the community. 'm kept quite active by my Texture Request Thread, but texturing is something I enjoy doing. Cinematic modes being my favorite.

4. Well you continue to scenario designer, correct? What is your future or current scenario project in development?

Yes I do still scenario design, although modding is my forte. I am currently working on a cinematic movie based on David Gemmal's novel 'Troy: Shield of Thunder', it contains high quality texture mods aswell. I also enter the CSC once in awhile, I have had a second and third place so far, I'm hoping my current entry will do well too.

5. Besides living a life of AoM, what else do you do? Any other games, or is it strictly AoM?

I also play Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War which is a great game. In real life I'm a competitive gymnast, a violinist, a green belt in judo, a member of the District Youth Council and a loving owner of three samoyed dogs. Oh and don't forget Banoffee Pie fanatic.

6. I think it's time this interview comes to an end, would you like to say anything else to the readers of this interview?

If you have a request for me, post it in my request thread. OK, now I'm ready to become Member of the Month....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the famed scenario designer and newbie modder"
WTF!