Saturday, June 7, 2008

Interview: Dark Archer


Dark archer is one of the fouder of tribulation designs and one of the more respected members of AoEH. In celebration of Tribulation design's anniversary, I got an interview with him.

1. So how long have you been with AoEH?

Let me just check my profile. Says I joined 20th of January 2005. So about 3 half years now. It truly is amazing how time files when you are having fun. As staff though it is harder to place. The thread Doc made to congratulate me was made on the 8th of July 2007 but from memory it decided that I would be on staff earlier but Doc went on holiday (he used to do that a lot :P) so I had to sit tight until he got back.

2. What do you basically do in terms of design and HG?

In terms of design? Not much. :P I'm what I call an on again off again designer. When I feel like it I'll have spells where I just get into the editor and start designing everyday or so. Then I have huge breaks I don't. But on the other side of design I'm around AoEH and Tribulation Designs (TD) a lot to help others with their design projects and give advise on screenshots. I suppose that is something to do with design. :P

Now it terms of HG it's quite different. Currently I'm working for Dr Lorenzo at AoEH making sure all the uploads to the download section the Granary go though quickly. I feel I have made a difference as the upload times have been cut down a lot. Where it once took days sometimes even weeks to see your work uploaded now it should only be a couple of days. The other things I do are news when there is something or I get time and moderating the forums which are usually pretty quite. Also as non staff stuff I usually can be found discussing aspects of designing and having fun the Veni, Vidi, Vici.

3. What did you expect when you created tribulation?

Well technically Chris Mattox created Tribulation Designs. I just was talking to the right person at the right time. At the time me and Chris were talking on MSN regularly and I just happened to have set up the kind of forum he was using for something I had done. So I helped him with that and he made me a leader of the team and a founder. Anyway back to the question. To be honest I never really knew what to expect. Really I just started this thing with Chris and we went from there. I never really gave much thought to Tribulation Designs but I suppose if anything I expected I'd do a team project at some stage but so far we haven't even done that. We've started but never finished. Maybe we'll get there one day. :P

4. What would you say is your best work yet?

Hmmm, that is a hard one. I haven't done much to choose from and to be honest I don't think I really have a best as such. I like all the works I have done as they all have something that makes them special. Death of the Morads brought me my first top rating for a scenario/campaign and is currently my highest, my Language.dll Bundle got me my first top rating and is the most downloaded Miscellaneous File, Out from the Cliffs is my latest and has been really fun to do and Turok Swamp (unreleased) features some of my best use of design tricks. Plus there are the two articles I've done on the language.dll. So like I said to start with, from my small selection I don't think I really can pick a best.

5. Did you ever have any plans or ideas you were never able to complete?

Definitely. When I first joined the AoEH forums I started on a project I called Journey of the Dragon Sword. The first scenario was never complete for Journey of the Dragon Sword but the underlying idea's been done again as it had the name Out from the Cliffs and as you know that is the name of my latest scenario as well. Both ideas involved villages set in the cliffs building an army and fighting out. Of course the first Out from the Cliffs can never be finished as I choose not to keep it during a format of my hard drive. Really I just never really thought it all though and couldn't do it to the end. Also in the plans I haven't completed is a number of TD team projects and a RP I was going to do. However the two ideas I think I could never give up on is The Great General Arkon which has been going for years now (it must be nearing three if it isn't already there) and TD.


6. Do you enjoy the other Age games? What else do you usually play?

Well I've played a bit of all the vanilla Age games at least. I never really got into the other Age games as much as the first but I still have a copy of Age of Kings and The Conquerors floating around that a play now and then. Unfortunately my computer graphics card is pretty bad and although I supposably can play Age of Mythology on it I've never actually tried. As for playing Age of Empires 3, I've played that at cyber cafes. Still Age of Empires is still my personal favorite. As for other games they are mostly online flash games these days or freeware stuff that I download off the net. Nothing really mainstream.

7. Thanks for letting me interview you, anything else to say?

Well thanks for the interview. Be sure to check out Tribulation Designs at tribulationdesigns.com the age old question on weather we should expand into new games has just started again and Age of Mythology is on the table so join the forums pop and say hi. Thanks again for the interview and covering the release of Out from the Cliffs.

No comments: