Thursday, April 17, 2008

Interview: Alyssea


Welcome back, today we interview a premier scenario designer who is scurrently applying for PDS. Let's see what she has to say about her work.

1. Why are you so fond of AOM, how did you discover the game?
I've been into RTS games since I got AoE 1 On a cereal box (I think it was Corn Flakes), then I went on to buy AoE II, Never got the expansion of that though, then I saved up for AoM. I remember getting it the week it came out. After a while I got bored with Easy computers, I didn't have any internet and I wasn't good enough for a Moderate. I left it for a few years. In 2004 I got a Mac when I got into High school, and Since then I've moved up the line of OS's and Models. In 2007 I found AoM for Mac in an apple store and Bought it without hesitation. Many Months later I found AoMH.
The reason I'm so fond of them is, well, because I like the real time thing. The Idea of playing in an alternate world has always appealed to me.


2. What did you think of your first project?
My first project never got realized. I never deemed it worthy for AoMH. If I remember back, it was GrassA, A few buildings and a poor storyline. I left it and tried a few more times, then I decided I was going to do a campaign. I was determined. I spent all that day (I was on Holidays) Thinking of a story line on the beach, in stead of swimming. I finally came up with the Basis of the Shard.

3. So tell us more about your latest project(s)
Well, there's not much to tell about the shard. Its by far the biggest project i've taken on, With 5 scenario's and 6 Cinematics. I've done as much as I can to make it the best i possibly could do. I've made my own custom music in Garageband and Audacity, Sounds etc.
Xanth is interesting. Usually I say go for originality when making Scenario's, but in this one I used the story line of a book. I'm Interested to see if i'll ever finish it, or if it gets very far.
I've also got a secret project planned. Well, it more even I don't know about it than secret. So far I'm going to do a Cinematic. I want to practice them, so...


4. Your shard of the Blue Crystal project looks great, what do you plan with it now?
Well. First I need to play around with the music and sounds. Cutting it short, Lowering volume etc. to cooperate with the cinematics. I also need to re-do the last scenario - for reason's that I'm not saying. All in all, its mostly done. I might touch up a bit here and there, but yeah, its almost done. I'd say expect it no later than the end June.


5. You're still learning eye candy, am I correct? What are your main sources of ideas?
Books, My mind and other people. Sometimes I make a screenshot cause I was playing around in the shard and I came up with something neat. Sometimes I do it cause I read an awesome scene in a book and want to portray that. Sometimes I just have an Idea, its usually humorous. Apparently I have a bad sense of humor...Do I?

6. We seem to be getting some new designers around here, what is your advice to them.
Use the question thread so it doesn't kill your reputation early, look at other maps, ad experiment. None of the great people, Einstein, Newton, Gallelao(spelling?), etc. would be anywhere today without experimentation. Also, look at other peoples maps, but don't copy them. Be original.


7. That's it for this interview, any last comments for the readers?
Watch out for Baske, and try to get into Yeebaagoon's sig. If you get there, you'll be well know for ages...But I think the biggest thing is be original. be yourself. You'll get so much farther in life, and AoMH if you be yourself. Use good grammar and don't, I repeat, don't try to win the ferris wheel. Thats mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got AoM from a cereal box?!

me said...

No, she got AoE from it. She bought Aom later because she liked AoE so much.

Anonymous said...

Watch out for me? I do no harm! At least I got mentioned, that's a start :P What to do now... A plane ticket is still too expensive...

Unknown said...

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

No mention of me... *cries*